apm_emu module missing
Add Reply
Ed Robbins
2024-10-13 21:10:01 UTC
Hi all,
I believe that the apm_emu module is required for battery
indicator/monitoring on certain powerbooks?

It seems to be missing on latest kernels (6.3, 6.11). Can it be
enabled for our config?

Or, is there an alternative way to enable battery indicators?

Thanks,
Ed
Ed Robbins
2024-10-17 15:50:01 UTC
Hi again,
Post by Ed Robbins
Hi all,
I believe that the apm_emu module is required for battery
indicator/monitoring on certain powerbooks?
It seems to be missing on latest kernels (6.3, 6.11). Can it be
enabled for our config?
Or, is there an alternative way to enable battery indicators?
I recompiled the 6.11.2 kernel and added the apm_emu module. It does
give extra compatibility with battery indicator software. xbattbar
works, and although xfce4 battery plugin removed support for APM on
Linux a couple of versions ago, I was able to build an older version
(1.1.1) and it works perfectly with the latest xfce4, as long as
apm_emu is present.

So I think that the apm_emu module should be included by default in
powerpc kernel builds. Is it possible to have it added to the kernel
config?

Thanks,
Ed
Post by Ed Robbins
Thanks,
Ed
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
2024-10-17 16:00:01 UTC
Hi Ed,
Post by Ed Robbins
So I think that the apm_emu module should be included by default in
powerpc kernel builds. Is it possible to have it added to the kernel
config?
Yes, this is possible. Someone needs to open a pull request with the
corresponding change to the powerpc kernel configuration [1].

Adrian
Post by Ed Robbins
[1] https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/blob/master/debian/config/kernelarch-powerpc/config?ref_type=heads
--
.''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' : Debian Developer
`- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913
Ed Robbins
2024-10-17 17:00:01 UTC
On Thu, 17 Oct 2024 at 16:51, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Post by John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi Ed,
Post by Ed Robbins
[1] https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/blob/master/debian/config/kernelarch-powerpc/config?ref_type=heads