Sid June 23-2023 Fresh install has broken “start-stop-daemon”
m***@gmail.com
2024-05-02 15:40:01 UTC

I did a fresh install using the suggested Sid June 23-2024 iso and am glad to report it’s working great and I was able to transfer it to the G5 Quad and have it activate the temporary non-Apple GPU on the graphical desktop.

I encountered a problem when trying to install packages, however, that apt/dpkg falls over with an error:
“start-stop-daemon” not found or is not exectutable

I bypassed it temporarily by making an empty shell script that does nothing and then exits cleanly, bit I am not sure how this should actually be fixed?

Thanks,

Mark Benson
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
2024-05-02 17:30:02 UTC
Hello,
Post by m***@gmail.com
I did a fresh install using the suggested Sid June 23-2024 iso and am glad
to report it’s working great and I was able to transfer it to the G5 Quad
and have it activate the temporary non-Apple GPU on the graphical desktop.
Great.
Post by m***@gmail.com
I encountered a problem when trying to install packages, however, that apt/dpkg
“start-stop-daemon” not found or is not exectutable
I have run into this as well and seems to be an issue with this particular image.

Try downloading and installing the "dpkg" package manually.

# apt download dpkg
# dpkg -i dpkg*deb

Adrian
--