eMac can't boot recent kernels
Ed Robbins
2024-08-12 20:10:02 UTC
Hello!
I updated my system a few weeks ago for the first time in a while, and
I am unable to boot the last two kernels at all. Those are
6.10.3-powerpc and 6.9.10-powerpc. I get an error from yaboot:

ERROR: claim of 0x1700000 in range 0xc2000000 0x10000000 failed
Claim error, can't allocate kernel memory

(Note, that I am still using yaboot because I can't find a good
explanation of how to boot OS X from grub. I have heard of a
workaround for it mentioned in other mails to the list but not found
it myself).

I managed to rescue my system using a netinstall disc to chroot and
add an extra entry to yaboot.conf for the old kernel that still works
(6.0.0-4-powerpc).

I note that the newer kernels are larger than the old ones, could that
be the cause?

Can anyone please advise on a route forward?

Thanks,
Ed
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
2024-08-13 05:50:01 UTC
Post by Ed Robbins
ERROR: claim of 0x1700000 in range 0xc2000000 0x10000000 failed
Claim error, can't allocate kernel memory
This is a known issue (see [1]), but I have not had time yet to work on it.

Adrian
[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2024/07/msg00001.html
Ed Robbins
2024-08-13 11:30:01 UTC
Thank you Adrian.

It looks as though this also affects boot in grub as it's a kernel assertion?

It seems also that the culprit kernel config option was found in the
thread you linked to. Is some further investigation required to
discover why that config option causes an issue?

Aside:
I trawled the mailing list archives last night and found the guide to
booting OS X using an openfirmware script when grub is installed [1].
I still find OS X useful mostly for testing the hardware.

What is the process to switch from yaboot to grub? Just install grub
and uninstall yaboot? I couldn't find much info on this, though I know
I did it previously on my ibook.

Thanks,
Ed

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2023/06/msg00009.html

On Tue, 13 Aug 2024 at 06:49, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Post by John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi,
Mike
2024-08-13 11:40:01 UTC
I am also interested in this grub migration guide. My trusty powerbook is
on yaboot, but if grub can't boot OSX or MorphOS I'll need to chain these
as i bet yaboot boots grub just fine. Could you link to that script for
booting osx under grub? I'll be taking a deep dive into grub anyway I've
decided. Two or three of my old workhorse PCs that support some early EFI
standard or draft now don't display the grub menu, but works regardless.
Ed Robbins
2024-08-13 13:40:01 UTC
Post by Ed Robbins
I am also interested in this grub migration guide. My trusty powerbook is on yaboot, but if grub can't boot OSX or MorphOS I'll need to chain these as i bet yaboot boots grub just fine. Could you link to that script for booting osx under grub? I'll be taking a deep dive into grub anyway I've decided. Two or three of my old workhorse PCs that support some early EFI standard or draft now don't display the grub menu, but works regardless.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2023/06/msg00009.html
I should add, you'll want to look at the few messages before it in
that thread to see how to use it.
Ed Robbins